Makes 2 servings
2 salmon fillets, 1-2cm thick
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 cup soy sauce or tamari
juice from 2 mandarins/clementines/tangerines or 1 orange (~1/4 cup)
1tbsp rice wine or other light cooking wine
1 tsp sesame oil
1tbsp high smoke point oil (coconut, safflower, canola)
½ tsp crushed black pepper
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp ground ginger or ½ inch freshly minced ginger
1 tsp cornstarch
1 scallion, diced (optional, for garnish)
- Make marinade: mix honey, soy sauce, mandarin juice, wine, oil, pepper, paprika, ginger
- Marinate Salmon: Add salmon to marinade or add marinade and salmon to large ziplock bag, seal and press out air. Store at room temperature 20-40 minutes or in fridge up to 2 hours
- Preheat oven: 20 min prior to baking preheat oven to high broil setting
- Dry and season salmon: Remove salmon from marinade (set aside marinade) to paper towels, and pat dry. Place on baking sheet and add untoasted sesame seeds and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Drizzle or spread a tbsp of high smoke point oil (i.e. coconut oil, safflower, canola) onto salmon.
- Bake: 8-12 minutes or until center of thickest part is medium rare. Do not overcook if possible or it may dry out.
- Enjoy!: Remove from oven and serve immediately, with scallion garnish.